Sunday 6 July 2014

Doorstops For Handmade Monday


Thank you for all the lovely comments about my coastal doorstop on my last post. I've been a little more productive this week and have three new doorstops to show you, all featuring Free Spirit Designs fabrics. I'll be listing them on my website, Etsy shop and other outlets over the next couple of days, priced £12. As always i look forward to hearing your thoughts! :)


Garden Herbs Doorstop


The first features my Herbs In Pots design printed on a lovely linen/cotton blend with hessian as the contrasting fabric.


As with the coastal doorstop, the design features a velcro opening at the top making it easy to fill with dried grain/beans or similar.


I'm really happy with the rustic style of this one, it would look cute in the conservatory/garden room of my dreams! :)



Hug A Pug Doorstop


Next i used one of the pug fabrics from my Dashing Dogs collection and tried a slightly different design with no contrasting fabric on the base but with the addition buttons covered with the pug fabric for interest on the handles.


I love covering my own buttons and am now full of ideas for other projects i could feature them in...


I'll keep you updated with how i get on!



Black Cat Doorstop


I used the same single fabric with button idea with one of my black cat fabrics.



I also decided it would be fun to make some little matching lavender pillows featuring smaller fabric covered buttons.



As with the doorstops they will be appearing on my website, Etsy shop and other outlets soon (priced £10 for a pair).


And that's it on the crafting side. Other than that i've been busy picking and preparing summer fruit - 10lbs of jam from a deceptively small looking gooseberry bush in the garden yesterday and black currents on the agenda for today. Strawberry wine is also now bubbling away in a demijohn in the bath tub... this is my first time making wine of any kind and i was intrigued, if not a little nervous, to learn that this is where it should be left to brew - incase of explosions!

I'm off to the fabulous Handmade Monday now to find out what you've all been up to. I've had some trouble with my computer this week so didn't manage to visit as many blogs as i usually do last time but all is working now so i'm looking forward to a good catch up :)

Thanks for stopping by! x

27 comments:

  1. Two lovely bags I like the cat one the best but I just love cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe they do look like bags don't they but they're actually doorstops! I'm happy you like them :) x

      Delete
  2. I love the two garden doorstops, they would be great by the back door, maybe a bit too pretty for the shed! I admit I prefer the split pattern design, although the covered buttons are excellent.
    I may not be a cat person but the little cat lavender bags are adorable <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I'm glad you like them and its great to know your preferred design too :) x

      Delete
  3. I love the fact the doorstops can be refilled. I really liked the garden fabric and got very excited when I saw the pugs but the cats have got me won over. Sounds like you'll be very busy in the kitchen with your jam making. Have a lovely week.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Ali, you are so kind :) I'm really glad you like them! xx

      Delete
  4. As ever I love all of your designs, the mix of hessian and fabric is just perfect x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Josie! I like that combo too :) x

      Delete
  5. I love the garden one with the contrasting fabric, the hessian really sets it off.
    Sounds like you'll be busy with your jam making, I love gooseberry jam :)

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jan!

      Hehe yeah, there are so many berries this year! x

      Delete
  6. I also like the cat design best, not that I am particularly into cats, maybe the black and white thing. Do the bags come with a zip or something to stop inquisitive children, dogs and ... dare I mention ... cats to come and spill the beans ... .literally ? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I quite like the black and white too.

      Haha, i would say they are fairly cat proof, the velcro closure its pretty stiff to open but you're right, an inquisitive child could probably manage it... i'm not sure how i can make it any more secure but i appreciate you raising the point, i will certainly think about it! x

      Delete
    2. Maybe i was just being michievous, i expect velcro does the job beautifully :))) x

      Delete
  7. Doorstops are always handy especially in the summer when doors are left open. I love the way you have made these with your own fabric. Lots of wine'jam making going on here to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true, don't you hate it when a through draft makes the slam!

      Thank you, it is a good feeling :)

      Good luck with your wine and jam! x

      Delete
  8. how cute! love the herb pot one the best :) good luck with the wine! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll let you know how it turns out! :)

      Delete
  9. All your fabric looks fab made into the doorsteps but those cats are just so very cute! Doorstops and fruit gluts - very summery indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!

      Hehe i do feel summery, its all this lovely weather! :)

      Delete
  10. They are great, I love your covered buttons. How could you not hug a pug after seeing that gorgeous doorstop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Natalie, these are gorgeous! I think I like the first one best. Our lounge is open plan which makes it a little cold in winter so we have a curtain to keep it warm, these would make great 'curtain stops'! Thank you for commenting on my blog :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare :) Aww that's a good idea! x

      Delete
  12. Really love the velcro idea. Its saves sooooo much £ on postage. Your items are so well made too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the doorstops. My favourite is the garden herbs one. I really like the rustic look it has.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments are much appreciated x