Sunday 3 May 2015

Dictionary Style Definition Prints


I love discovering new words and i feel sad that some of the most exquisite are little used in modern parlance. Its just so easy in these days of frequent communication to use words that are the most widely understood and provide the most efficient and direct way to get a message across, whilst sacrificing the delight of taking the time to be creative with language.

I've had in mind for a while that it would be fun to create prints that celebrate some unusual words that although little known, have relevance to the modern world. I don't think i'm alone in the wish to express myself in a more thoughtful and colourful way once in a while so i'm hoping people will enjoy these little wordy celebrations. Searching them out has already taken me on a most enjoyable journey of discovery and this week i've listed the first of what may turn out to be quite a large collection of printable definitions... as always i look forward to hearing what you think!


Meliorism Definition Print


All of the definitions will be in my own words and i'm also accompanying them with my original art work. Here is a closer look at the drawing of people linking hands around the world that i've created to go with the meliorism definition.




Its just visible behind the words with the intention of subtly adding another dimension to the print. I'm aware that some people might not like the effect and find it distracting though... what do you think?



As with all my prints there are twenty colours to choose from. I've slightly updated the selection since i last posted it - the 'baby blue' and 'baby pink' have been replaced with 'forest green' and 'dusty rose', although i might revert to the baby colours for prints aimed at little people :)


As with all my digital typography prints, its priced £4 and available in a choice of sizes from my Print and Paper shop on Etsy.


This Is Where The Magic Happens Print


I've also listed another print for sale this week, quite a different style to the quotes and definitions and intended as something fun to display in an active environment - workplace/craft room/music studio/kitchen etc.






Its available for instant download in from Etsy, priced £4. I hope it makes you smile :)

That's all from me for this week. As always i look forward to finding out what's been getting your creative juices flowing over at Handmade Monday, see you there! x

22 comments:

  1. There are so many lovely words that just barely get used. Your definition prints are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there are! Thank you, i'm g;ad you think so :) x

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of celebrating our little used words! My colleagues at work have set up a folder to record Clare's Words - ie. words which I've come out with that they've never heard of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hehe, sounds like you're a girl after my own heart :) x

      Delete
  3. I'd never heard of meliorism before but I love the definition and would like to believe it's true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either 'till i found it this week, its something i'd like to believe too, maybe if enough people do it will be?! :)

      Delete
  4. That's just lovely. 'Meliorism'. And i really like the image behind it. It's not distracting at all. Just subtle. You do create such wonderful prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm so glad you like it :) x

      Delete
  5. Never heard of meliorism either, such a good idea and look so good on a wall

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Meliorism, and the sentiment behind - really, really nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely word with such a beautiful meaning! I'm also as impressed as ever with your styling and photography, so professional xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Josie, that's really sweet of you to say :) xx

      Delete
  8. threadsnshreds04/05/2015, 11:24

    I've not heard that word before. I love what you are doing, I hate how the English language is going with words shortened, and bad grammar and spelling how lovely old words are superfluous (see what I did there lol )
    I like the image you are using behind the words makes it far more unique than a plain background. I look forward to seeing more xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I'm so glad i'm not the only one who still loves flowery language :) xx

      Delete
  9. I love new (old) words. When my children were little we used to play a game similar to 'Call my Bluff' and had great fun. We also had a 'Word of the Week' and we had to use it during conversation at least once per day. so i love what you are doing with your definition plaques. I like the background too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that sounds like so much fun! :) Thank you! x

      Delete
  10. I agree with you. I sometimes get fed up with using the same words and sometimes it can be useful to find a word which subtley says exactly what you mean. Hope these prints are very popular :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, its so satisfying to find exactly the right word. Thank you very much! x

      Delete
  11. What a lovely idea and I love the image behind the definition too.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments are much appreciated x